The Brazilian Side of Iguazu Falls
Another Airport Mishap

The Argentinian Side of Iguazu Falls
TIP: I bought a separate ticket to take the boat ride under the falls but it was canceled due to a thunderstorm. I do recommend trying to do this because the boat ride seemed spectacular.






Travel Tips and Observations
Brazil offered excellent value during my visit. I enjoyed wonderful dinners with signature cocktails for approximately $20. A 30-minute Uber ride cost $4, while the return trip during rush hour was only $6. A hotel room near the beach was approximately $125 per night. Although reaching Rio was not especially easy, once I arrived, I found it surprisingly affordable. Prices and exchange rates can change, of course.
The people were warm and friendly. One taxi driver even gave me a hug after I left him a small tip. Experiences like that can make a visitor feel welcome in an unfamiliar country.
The economic inequality is difficult to ignore. Brazil has one of the world’s largest economies, yet the contrast between wealthy tourist districts and struggling communities is striking. Brazil does have social assistance programs, but poverty and unequal access to opportunity remain serious problems. Addressing those conditions could also help reduce some of the desperation that contributes to petty crime.
English is not widely spoken everywhere. Learning a few common Portuguese words and phrases is extremely helpful. Of course, successfully asking a question in Portuguese does not necessarily mean that you will understand the answer! A translation app can be invaluable.
Practice good photography etiquette. Take your picture and then move aside if other people are waiting. Likewise, remain aware of your surroundings and try not to walk through someone else’s photograph. Everyone deserves a turn without a stranger appearing in the background
Tonight, we are having our own Argentine Thanksgiving dinner featuring traditional local dishes—but no turkey!

